Thursday, December 30, 2010

THE KEEP by Jennifer Egan

Danny visits his cousin, Howie, in Germany to help him with the castle he is renovating. Danny hasn't seen Howie in twenty years, not since he and another cousin left Howie to almost die in bad childhood prank. Now Howie is rich, married, and very successful. Punkster Danny has been living in NYC, bouncing from job to job and is now on the run from some mob guys.
Ray is the guy writing this story for a creative writing class in prison. His story alternates between that of Danny and Howie's.

The Keep is deliciously Gothic and creepy. But it is not your usual story and I almost didn't read it because reviews have been so mixed. I was given a push by a fellow tweeter and I am so glad I did.
Danny is such a great character, paranoid that Howie wants payback for the horrific childhood prank, obsessed with being connected to the outside world, so much so that he brings his own satellite dish to the castle and unfortunately loses it, rendering his laptop and satellite phone useless. And did I mention the Baroness? She comes with the castle, refusing to leave the Keep which is the tower part of the castle, inaccessible if the walls are breached.
Howie is a control freak millionaire, who wants to turn the castle into a type of spa that shuns the outside world. Then there is Mick, Howie's number two man, who resents Danny's presence.
Egan is such a great write and I was so drawn into this story, moving between the castle and prison, not sure what is reality and what is fiction. This is another book I stayed up late reading to try and finish. I really recommend giving this book a try.
It would have made my favorites of 2010 but there were so many great books to choose from. So it may not be on the list, but I loved it!
my rating 5/5

7 comments:

Ryan G said...

This is one that is definetly on my radar for next year. Thanks for the reminder.

Michelle @ The True Book Addict said...

I read this a few years ago and loved it! It's one of my favorites. I did a post back in the fall about it, among others. So glad you liked it!

Lisa said...

This is exactly why you've got to take a chance on books that get mixed reviews. You can always give them up but what a shame to miss something you might really like!

heidenkind said...

Sounds interesting! Usually gothic books have female protagonists.

Kaye said...

Hi, just popping in to wish you and your family a Happy New Year. May 2011 be filled with good books, good friends, good health and much happiness.

Even though reviews were mixed - sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith. Glad you loved it!

Aarti said...

I saw this review and thought it was for the book The Emperor's Children (I think?) which I believe has a very similar cover, but also a very different story. This sounds great- I like the idea of it being deliciously creepy :-)

Vasilly said...

I bought this book last year and gave it away unread. Of course I'm regretting it now! Have a great week.

Related Posts with Thumbnails